Off-Topic
Discord - Double Edged Sword

Hi,

When I joined the server I promted in regards to the discord, and I liked the way it was thrown into the website and it appears that the discord is getting more members by the day.

As a person who has been to many a "small" projects in the WOTLK scene, I just want to put out a small "Warning".

With the new technology of Discord, Farily new compared to the expansion, the server and staff has a greater platform to inform and poll for changes.
This is all great, but what I have noticed with alot of "failed" projects is that once to pop.ulation starts growing, bugs and issues gets reported at a larger rate.

It is when this starts to happen, and I suspect it will, that discord can become a double edged sword. If the staff starts to not respond to questions and prods from the community, people will start a downward spiral in the discord. To this day I have seen many a project go down in a hail of glory at this point, where players basicly riot and the server never recovers.

I sincerely hope this doesnt happen, and as far as I've seen from the staff thus far I doubt it will. Just keep in mind that discord is a must for new servers and that is where people will start to question and ask about stuff.

Thought I would just tell you my side of these things, as it may or may not help but atleast I have done what little I can and know.

Props to the staff so far, as I've found the experience really good.

Br,
Iram / Erik

Hi, When I joined the server I promted in regards to the discord, and I liked the way it was thrown into the website and it appears that the discord is getting more members by the day. As a person who has been to many a "small" projects in the WOTLK scene, I just want to put out a small "Warning". With the new technology of Discord, Farily new compared to the expansion, the server and staff has a greater platform to inform and poll for changes. This is all great, but what I have noticed with alot of "failed" projects is that once to pop.ulation starts growing, bugs and issues gets reported at a larger rate. It is when this starts to happen, and I suspect it will, that discord can become a double edged sword. If the staff starts to not respond to questions and prods from the community, people will start a downward spiral in the discord. To this day I have seen many a project go down in a hail of glory at this point, where players basicly riot and the server never recovers. I sincerely hope this doesnt happen, and as far as I've seen from the staff thus far I doubt it will. Just keep in mind that discord is a must for new servers and that is where people will start to question and ask about stuff. Thought I would just tell you my side of these things, as it may or may not help but atleast I have done what little I can and know. Props to the staff so far, as I've found the experience really good. Br, Iram / Erik

Hello,

You've hit a very interesting point.
At first I didn't give much importance to Discord, as I'm not a user and I really don't have enough physical and mental resources to deal with this also. smile
For me, the server code, stability and overall user experience are more important.
That's why I left this matter to my colleagues @Heimdall (Discord Boss) and @Clone (Co-Admin).

But yeah I get your point, people will use every channel they have, to get in touch with staff and Discord is the easiest way to do it.
We will probably add a notification saying that Discord is not a support channel and will be used only for player interaction.
We'll see @Heimdall's view on this.
The main idea is that you can't have a 100% presence on this type of support channel, as you'll probably need a dedicated team to be able to answer to everyone.

I hope we get some more feedback on this and find something that gives everyone a good experience.

Regards!

Hello, You've hit a very interesting point. At first I didn't give much importance to Discord, as I'm not a user and I really don't have enough physical and mental resources to deal with this also. :x For me, the server code, stability and overall user experience are more important. That's why I left this matter to my colleagues @Heimdall (Discord Boss) and @Clone (Co-Admin). But yeah I get your point, people will use every channel they have, to get in touch with staff and Discord is the easiest way to do it. We will probably add a notification saying that Discord is not a support channel and will be used only for player interaction. We'll see @Heimdall's view on this. The main idea is that you can't have a 100% presence on this type of support channel, as you'll probably need a dedicated team to be able to answer to everyone. I hope we get some more feedback on this and find something that gives everyone a good experience. Regards!

The Old Orc God

edited Aug 13 '20 at 4:21 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft